Thursday, January 12, 2012

Environmentally friendly alternatives to tampons and pads

I am continuing my journey to living as green as possible. I decided to stop using tampons and pads! I never knew there was an alternative to tampons. They are not in the grocery store and no one talks about it. I found out there was an alternative by reading the books, “Moneyless Man” and “No Impact Man.” The idea of reusing a cup seemed weird to me and I didn’t know exactly how it worked. However, I did some research online and after learning more I decided to buy a moon cup. I have already used it for one cycle. I feel comfortable using it and I am so happy that I made the switch. It is so much better for the environment and I save a lot of money!
●On average, one woman will use over 11,000 tampons or pads in their lifetime, which will end up in the landfill or in the sea.
●An estimated 12 billion sanitary pads and 7 billion tampons are dumped into the North American environment each year.
Benefits:
1.       It is cheaper! One woman uses 22 items of sanitary protection every period. Regardless of your flow, you only need to buy 1 cup, and it lasts for years and years!
2.       It is greener!
3.       It is safer! Tampons can cause dryness and leave fibers behind. These alternative cups contain no dyes, BPA, toxins, or bleaches.
4.       There is no leakage or odor!
5.       These cups have never been associated with toxic shock syndrome!
6.       It is convenient! You only need one so you don’t need to carry spares or worry about disposal.
Products:
1.       Mooncup www.mooncup.co.uk This is a reusable cup, around 2 inches long and made from soft medical grade silicone. It is worn internally a lot lower than a tampon and it collects fluid instead of absorbing it. It is inserted, removed, rinsed and reinserted up to every 8 hours. You can use it overnight, and when exercising and swimming. $30
2.       Softcup www.softcup.com
3.       The DivaCup www.divacup.com
4.       Keeper www.keeper.com
5.       Luna pads http://lunapads.com/ These are washable pads. They can be reused for 3-5 years.
Please give it a try! You can make a difference for the environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment